Friday 9 November 2012

Kiss! Car! Arbre!

One of the fun things about raising a baby to speak more than one language is that you get to see which words the babe says in French and which she says in English (if her Pati were here, I'd add Tamil to that make it three languages).

When we are walking on the street, I might see a car coming and say, "Auto!" as a car is passing.  Without fail, L'il Chica will shout out, "Caaaar!".  Hmm... her dad also takes her for walks along our street.  When we are at home, I'll ask, "bisou?"  Inevitably, she'll say "kiiiss"!  And, I'll get a peck on the cheek.  A lovely disappointment, but then everyone of her anglo connection asks her for a kiss. 

But, when we go hiking (only with me), she will always imitate me when I say to her, "arbre".  She'll reach out from the carrier to touch a tree and say "aaarbre."  I've got at least one for the French team.  At the least, I know I am raising a future tree-hugger.
The tree hugger says, "Arbre!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment