Monday 22 October 2012

Oh Bruce! Oh Carlita!

This is a bit about my second time hiking on the Bruce Trail.  My hiker buddy this round was my sis, Carlita!  She's a trooper, if ever I met one. 

The 401 bridge at the Toronto and Iroquois
 border of the Bruce Trail
Waking up L'il Chica on Sunday morning at 6:30 was not an easy task.  She had a tough night (waking up for a good hour at 3 o'clock in the a.m. ever since we started with day-care).  She slept through the wake-up and car drive to pick up my sister about 30 minutes away.  All well so far.  Once we were on our way to our hiking spot, we were in high spirits.  L'il Chica was happily having her breakfast bottle and the 401 was traffic-free (even on a Sunday a.m., one never knows).  The drive toward the Niagara Escarpment was a treat -- the fall colours were brilliant and we could see the hills upon which we would soon hike.

Hopping the fence!  Oh, what fun!
We parked at the Kelso Conservation Area and set out on our planned 15-km hike.  With blood pumping through our veins and with a good 40 lbs on my back, we reached our first hurdle -- a ladder!  In fact, it would be one of four ladders.  How in tarnation was I supposed to balance my way over a ladder with a stacked carrier?  And, why was there a ladder there in the first place?  The answer is that the Bruce Trail crosses into fenced private property from time to time -- chicken and barbed wire fence at that.  Unless one breaks down the fence, the only option is to climb over it.  Thank goodness for that ladder -- I guess I wouldn't want to fall on a barbed wire fence.  Ouch!

Onward to Hilton Falls!
Chatting with my sis in the fresh fall morning air was good fun -- she's in good shape.  A gym junkie who also jogs, she likes a physical challenge.  The whole 'footing' thing was the only real adjustment -- she now has a new respect for hiker and trail runners. 

Our hike crossed from the Toronto section and into the Iroquois section of the Bruce Trail.  The first 6 km northbound went up to and along the escarpment -- lots of slippery limestone covered in moss and leaves.  Footing alert!  No slips yet, though.  Once we got to the Dufferein Quarry Bridge (what a view!), we turned back as we still had a good 9 km to go.  Heading south now, L'il Chica was still doing well -- she was having fun stretching her arms trying to touch the nearby trees.  Soon enough, she'll get sleepy -- as is usually the case with infants, movement, and fresh air.  My plan was to get us to Hilton Falls and give L'il Chica a walking break -- a bit of a stretch for her in the carrier, but all was going well so far.  We were looking forward to one of the many waterfalls we had heard of on the Bruce Trail.  Forward march!

The hike plan, highlighted in yellow.  Please ignore any green smudges -- L'il Chica's artwork.


By the time we were at 9 km, we were feeling the aches.  My hamstring was tightening up, and Carlita was starting to doubt 'this whole hiking thing'.  Yah, it's pretty and all, but why does it have to take forever to get to anywhere?!  A passerby wearing Bruce Trail gear told us we were not far off from Hilton Falls.  So the map said, too.  Why was it taking forever, then?  By the time another walker said to us, "It's just up there.  You're not far at all."  we were reenergized!  Picking up the pace, we listened for the sound of rushing water.  But, where was it?  We kept going, listening for water ... 'not far at all' echoing in my head.  When we got there ... finally... we saw the most... how to put it?  The most ... hmm... the most disappointing sight ever.  A waterfall?  A fall?  Where was it?  There was no water, far less falling water.  There was, though, a hole in the ground -- a big 'maco' hole in the ground... but THAT was all!  It turns out that Hilton Falls USED to be a cascade of sorts thousands of years ago.  What is left behind is a very interesting natural formation in the limestone shield.  A perfectly cylindrical hole in the terra firma... But, no water.  Oh dear!  Oh Carlita!  Sorry about the anti-climactic hike to Hilton FALLS... smh. (All caps are intended -- we were pooped and near exasperation by this point.)
The hole in the wall of limestone... aka Hilton Falls.
The last 5 km were tough.  We fought to keep spirits high, despite the lovely weather and awesome temperature -- 17 degrees C.  At one point, head low, almost unable to look up at the trail ahead, I commented to myself, 'Hey!  At least my pants look clean.  Not even on smudge of dirt.  Good on ya, Marie!'  There was at least one happy note in my exhaustion.  But wait!  Too soon!  I slipped on a small but slippery slope, startling L'il Chica to an outburst.  No worries, though, up again and with no bruises, we trudged along to the parking lot at Kelso.


You call THAT a waterfall!? LOL!

Legs aching, back at the car, and the skies still blue, how should I look upon this 4.5-hr-long Bruce hike?  As a disappointment? Naaah!  I got to hike with my sister -- yay!  I accomplished a good 15-km-plus hike in really good time -- BONUS!  L'il Chica was a trooper as usual -- can't beat that at all.  Amazing weather, fall colours in all their glory, great chatting with my sis, L'il Chica learning the word for 'tree' in French, and, of course, take two for Bruce.  Nothing to complain about, and more Bruce to come.


Oh! And, a bonus today (the morning after) was my sister's text: "... this morning went to the gym now walking like an orangutan lol i would love to do another hike hook me up". Oh Carlita!

11 comments:

  1. Lol at "this whole hiking thing". I can so see the facial expression too...But at the same time I can hear that "hook me up" comment the day after lol. Looked like a lot of fun other than the FAILED FALL. Love the pics. Missing lil-Chica :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fall was a good reminder that my legs were tired. Really, really tired.

      Delete
    2. How exciting! When you heard falls, you probably were thinking that you were going to relive the Victoria Falls experience in South Africa. But then again, the 'almost fall' explained the whole story.

      I heard climbing Mt. Soufriere in St Vincent is an awesome experience. Talking about hook up, I can hook you up.

      congrats to all of you especially chicka.
      CT

      Delete
    3. We had a good time, the water in the fall would have made it jsut that more special :-)

      Delete
  2. Good pictures and good blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally.....:) What an adventure and treat! lil chica is a pro! At the 13 kms marker I must admit I was bribing her to give me her first class seat... for real. She looked so happy and comfortable- swinging her arms and feet and saying mama, I wanted to do the same. The only thoughts I had in mind at that time was "when will this torture end". But how could I complain when I didn't have a 40lb weight on my back. That sister of mine is a champion! I had to show her I had guts,and not spill it all out on the trail :) After all, I am the older sister, couldn't let my lil sis down. I was praying the Almighty to save me some energy to get home, shower, go to the grocery, come back home,cook and still have the sanity to do 3 heads of hair. Pressure!!!

    The landscape was beautiful and the company was supreme. I am going to hike with my sis and lil chika again. That excuse of a waterfall will not deter me. I have to invest in some hiking boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ten times over! Just about needed a cushion of 'Depends' reading that one. I almost wet my pants laughing. But, seriously, lots of fun, eh!

      Delete
  4. Yeah it was... (keeping it short)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PRESSURE!!! lol.

    PRESSURE of being the oldest chick setting an example for the rest of us youngin's ;-) 10/29/19...83 looks great on you though....now that is pressure for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. Pressure! I'm fighting the greys any which way I can.

      Delete