Wednesday 14 November 2012

Glen, the Rouge and Missing Mittens

The day started out really well -- not too cool for early November; joining up with my fellow volunteer, Glen, who was leading a hike that morning on Rouge history; a 10k hike starting out on the Mast Trail.  We met up at 9:30 a.m. -- not too early and just enough time to eat breakfast and play for a bit at home.  Not too late -- we'd be done well before noon and on schedule for the afternoon nap.


Glen (in green), his dog Les Paul, and some guest walkers
Glen had about 4 guest walkers on his hike that morning, so it was okay for me to join in without having signed up for it.  We walked at a slowish pace and learnt about camping in the park during the 1950's when Glen was just a wee lad.  Neat-o!  After almost 3 km, at their turnaround point, we pressed on for about 2 km more until we stopped for a snack and stretch at the wetlands.  Not too much going on there, but I did notice that the clouds were getting thicker.  Hmm... our half-way point meant rest time, so rest we did.  Off with the mittens -- snack time!

After about 15 minutes, Lil Chica started to fuss a bit so I decided to pack up.  Hmm... her hands were colder too.  I got her gloves back on, got her in the carrier, and off we went -- 5km still to go get to the car. 


Lil Chica WITH gloves still on
After about 1km or so, she had started complaining again.  I looked back and realized that ... oh no! ... mittens missing.  With a good 4km still to go, I had to head back to find them.  Some people we met on the way back said that they saw the pink Minnie Mouse mitts on the trail, so I felt good knowing that we 'd see them soon.  Almost 10 minutes later and very close to the wetlands where we snacked, there they were.  I took off the carrier, made Lil Chica even more agitated, put the gloves back on, and headed back to where we just came from.  Seemingly in higher spirits now that the gloves were back on, Lil Chica ensued in a game of hit-mummy-on-the-head while laughing out loud.

We made tracks for a good 20 minutes in high spirits until I realized that the mitts were off again. What?  Really?  Back track again?  Darn!  It was that hit-mummy-on-the-head game.  As soon as I turned around, still a good 2.5 km from the car, Lil Chica started to cry.  The sky was still thick with clouds and it was indeed colder.  Man oh man, I knew that she was feeling the chill now.  After about 5 minutes, I gave up.  It was just about noon and we were both tired.  I called for back up.

I called home to get my better half to pick us up.  The house was only 5 minutes away from where I had parked the car and then another 5-minute drive to get us on a nearby road. 

After less than a 10-minute wait, Lil Chica's dad arrived to save us.  We got into the car and were soon warmed up.  Glove #2 would have to wait for later in the day when we got L'il Chica home and fed.

Lessons Learnt: # 1 -- Find a better way to keep gloves on. #2 --Go for shorter hikes as the weather gets cooler.

Well... we gave it a good shot.  We'll be on the trail this coming weekend.  I think it'll be sunny.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment