Saturday 10 November 2012

Fall Hikes ... almost gone

Part of what I do when I get out on the trail is lead and interpret hikes for the Rouge Park and the Altona Forest.  This month, my fall hikes will be on fall colours -- why and how leaves change.

A couple Saturdays ago, I led a public hike in the Altona Forest.  It's a small forest that backs onto our yard.  The fam came out with me to this one for moral support, so L'il Chica hung out with her dad as I spoke to members of the public about carotenes, tannins, and anthocyanins.  I'm not a schooled or official naturalist, but I do like finding out about trees and other plants, bees and ants.  Then, I share what I find out.


Lil Chica and her dad came out for moral support
The crowd on these public hikes are usually a mixed bunch.  Depending on how well prepped I am on the topic and depending on who shows up, they can be really good hikes.  Some people are inexperienced hikers to the extent that they ask questions about the non-existent bears that might be lurking and ready to chomp them down like dinner.  Some walkers are very knowledgeable about the interpretation topics and I like to learn from them.  Some walkers seem to enjoy challenging the interpreter's (my) knowledge.  These folks can sometimes be unpleasant, but I grin an bear it like a good hike leader repping the conservation groups.  I always state my amateur yet eager-to-learn status as an interpreter and am the first one to claim ignorance if I do not know.  But, those who come out to ask questions simply to claim superiority bug the hell out of me.

Most walkers, though, usually come out to enjoy nature.  Me too!  Fall colours are awesome!  For the most brilliant colours, head out on a sunny day after a cool night.  Head out soon before they are all gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment