Monday 14 May 2012

A Week of Frenetic Hiking

2.5 Weeks Before Mat Leave Ends



Wednesday, May 9th – Mast plus– 7k hilly 
On the Mast Trail hills
Pausing for a Photo on the Mast Trail
Spotting a Snapping Turtle (a baby, it seems) on the Mast near the Little Rouge Creek
I met up with fellow hiker moms Katy and Tizziana.  The goal was to feel it in the thighs, and did we ever!  There are a few steep hills on the Mast Trail for a really good fitness hike (we also completed a bit of the Vista trail just to be able to attack another hill).   We also bumped into some naturalist friends who were looking for any signs of the dangerous Giant Hogweed (it is phototoxic and can literally burn into your skin).  They found, instead, cow parsnip, also phototoxic.  Check here for the difference between Cow Parsnip and Giant Hogweed:  http://www.gavan.ca/nature/giant-hogweed-vs-cow-parsnip-vs-water-hemlock-vs-wild-carrot/
Note to Self: I need to carry my field guide book to differentiate , esp. for when my daughter is older and more able to physically  explore her curiosity for plants.


Friday, May 11th – Colonel Danforth Trail – 7k flat
Trumpeter Swan on Lake Ontario
Today, I met up with my usual Friday crew for a stroller walk along the Highland Creek and Lake Ontario.  This walk always offers refreshing landscape and refreshing conversation.  We even caught glimpses of swans on the lake.




                                      

     Saturday, May 12th – Altona – 3.5k flat
Two Happy Girlies in the Altona Forest
After an early-morning jog, daily chores, and afternoon gardening, the family headed out for a quick walk in the neighbourhood forest.  Lots of Jack in the Pulpit in bloom, but quite a few of them diseased with a rust-coloured fungus called Uromyces aritriphylli.  Yuck!  It actually prevents the female plant from producing seeds:o(

Sunday, May 13th – Durham about 10k in all
It was an awesome Mother’s Day hike in Durham Forest -- about 2 hours on the Main Tract.  Hard to tell but I think we hiked 10 km in all.  There were a lot of cyclists on the trail –more than there were walkers.  I really like that it is quite pristine and only a half-hour drive from home, but I can see it getting even busier as the summer approaches.  With the so many cyclists going fast on the trails and with the summer heat approaching, I think it best to head out to Durham Forest very early in the morning. 

 Monday, May 14th – Mast, Vista, Orchard – about 10k in all
Rest Spot near the Beare Wetlands
Killdeer on the Front Log in theWetlands
Today I was pooped but determined to complete a difficult hike in Rouge Park, my stomping ground.  I got together with my Meetup crew of parents; 6 of us hiked 3 trails with tots in tow.  There were 4 steep hills and many rugged spots.  We got out early enough to beat the heat; and, with all the tree cover, we stayed cool enough.  Our mid-way stop was at the Beare Wetlands, an awesome site for spotting turtles, swans, geese and even a killdeer (a bird) that we do not often chance upon.  At this point, I think I need a few days off just to rest my muscles.  My hamstrings and calves are tingling as I write; a likely indicator of sore muscles tomorrow.

Oh, I also jogged a total of 16 km this week.
What a week of frenetic hiking!  Can you tell I am almost headed back to work and not looking forward to it?

4 comments:

  1. Busy lady! No wonder you are so fit with all of that jogging and hiking. Loving these longer more challenging hikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12 days to the return, Katy. I'm taking full advantage of every second I can share with her on the trail... esp as the weather is so good

    ReplyDelete