Sunday 13 May 2012

Mother's Day Hike in Durham Forest


Hiking Buddy and Better Half

This was my first Mothers Day, so my family took a walk through one of my favourite local trails —the Main Tract of Durham Forest in Uxbridge.  I also had new gear courtesy of my better half: Prana convertible hiking pants and a Deuter carrier.  I was comfy in my new duds and my girlie was super-duper comfy in her new carrier.  How do I know she was comfy, you ask?  Read on :o)

Highlights of my family hike on Durham Forest trails:



Yellow Bellwort

n  The trails are perhaps the most pristine in the Greater Toronto Area.   The flora includes fields and fields of white trillium, batches of purple trillium, a surprising show of yellow bellwort, and wild lily of the valley in bloom.  There are so many surprises.  There also will be fields of wild columbine in bloom within a few weeks.



n Lovely mix of deciduous and evergreens offers shade when you need it and then some awesome glimpses of the skies.


n No dog droppings in sight.  Unliek many other GTA trails, the dog walkers on this trail are either too few to mention or pick up after their pooches.  I only noticed this on the day after Mother's Day when I spotted doggie-doo along another GTA trail; it was a stark contrast.
Red Pines Line the Trail
nTall Red Pines—We walked for a good stretch of time heading east along the Spruce Loop. The double trails are deeply lined with majestic red pines 



n Wide trails with many trail-side logs for resting – and as she grows, I can foresee the need for resting increasing.


n  Happy Baby--Hiking with my girl usually means a good stretch of much-needed sleep from the movement and fresh air. 

Asleep in her New Deuter Carrier
n  New Deuter carrier  – This carrier is great for sleeping babies.  It took care of my sleeping babe by offering a super sun shade, a chin rest for her sleepy head and side rests for when she bobbed to the sides. 






 

Hiking parents should look out for:



This Way for the Spruce Loop
n  Cyclists –There are lots of cyclists on the trails here, as it is a multi-purpose trail.  Many of them are really fast, so it is best to take care and listen out for their bells. 

n  Poison Ivy —Watch out for the poison ivy, as there are heaps of it.  This would be okay if your kiddies are in a carrier, but it’s not the best if your young ones are on foot and eager to explore nature’s floral gifts.  Take care, too, of the poison ivy if you need to take a nature break.


Intersection of the White Pine and Maple Loops

n  Signage – If you depend on blazes to help you navigate the trails, this is a warning that there are very few blazes on the Main Tract trails.  All the trails (double and single) are connected and some of them criss-cross.  But, there are so many off-shoot trails, one might get confused.  My best advice is to stick to the wider, double trails.  There are, however, many signs at most intersections to indicate which trail you are on and the way back to the parking lot.  I’d suggest you take a map with you if you have one.  Here it is: http://www.lsrca.on.ca/pdf/maps/durham_forest.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment