Saturday 6 October 2012

Happy Thanksgiving Hike


Sunny Skies were on the bill that morning.
This was the hike I was waiting for since last month.  A good 4-hr hike on the Seaton Trail was just what I needed to brush away the blues.   A recent stint of ‘mid-section expansion’ ... why don’t we call it ‘bloating’ ... had added to my back-to-work blues, and I was just dying to head out on a long trek.

L’il Chica and I set off with high spirits from Clarke’s Hollow just after nine in the morning. We had some snacks, some water, and lots of energy. The skies were blue, and the air was cool and fresh. What could go wrong?

After about an hour – passing by a few happy dog walkers, some with off-leash dogs (grr) – we arrived at the playground in Whitevale.That went well –for about 20 minutes L’il Chica enjoyed the swing, slides and some snacks.

 


Backwards down the slide.  Wheee!


Note the face: the remants of
a near-meltdown before leaving the playground
Getting her back into the carrier was not as much fun.There was an almost-meltdown, but we set out north to Green River anyway. Evidence is in the photo to on the right.  
 
As we walked, her mood turned for the better and we chatted away ... she mimicking what I said as we identified trees, birds, leaves, squirrels and the blue, blue sky.  She’s lots of fun now that she’s so vocal.  One of her favourite words to say is “bow-wow” whenever she sees a dog.  It actually sounds more like “rawr-rawr”.  But, then again, dogs do not actually say the sound of the letter “B” in ‘bow-wow’, do they?
The turn-around at Green River

Within 10 minutes, she was asleep in the carrier.  So, once we made it to Green River, I did not bother to take a lunch break.  That would have just awoken her, and who needs that when you’ve already got well-enough going for you.  At the half-way point at about 11:30, 7.5 km from the start point and with a good 30 lbs on my back, I turned around to enjoy a quiet walk back. 

Outdoor café in Whitevale






She was up again by the time we got back to Whitevale, so we stopped there for her leg-stretch.  This time, we skipped the park and chose to rest at a little outdoor café where a local woman sells coffee, soup and fries to passers-by.  It’s a cute little spot in the pretty little hamlet.  I really like these neat things about Whitevale.

By the time we made it back to Clarke’s Hollow, I was bushed and my right foot was a little achy.  L’il Chica was happy to be out of the carrier (only to be put into the car within 10 minutes).   As I write now, my foot is still a bit sore, but I’ll take that anytime if I get it from a hike like today’s hike. 

So, what could go wrong on my hike today?  Not much at all.  There’s way too much to be thankful for, and a little sore foot is likely a blessing in disguise.  What an awesome start to the weekend!
Happy Thanksgiving!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment