Sunday 15 July 2012

Trail Snacks for a Toddler -- Ideas Welcome

When it comes to trail snacks for a 13-month-old eight-toothed toddler, it can be tricky to know exactly what to bring on the trail.  I need all the advice I can get to keep things interesting and nutritious.  Many web-sites have tips for kids in general with snacks like trail mix.  I'll have to wait several months for that.  But, I'd love to get your input on snacks for toddlers.  Until then, here are my faves for L'il Chica thus far:

1.  Grain cereals like Cheerio's -- Easy to keep a small container in your pocket and hand back to her as she sits behind in the backpack.  There is little risk of choking and the crunches keep her busy.


2.  Home-made mini cheese strings -- Since we're not into  peelable Cheese Strings yet, I like to slice cheese into bite-sized lengths and pack into a small container. Cheese slices sized for grasping and chomping also work well.


3.  Strips of toasted grain bread -- This is just as good as bread sticks, but I make them by cutting into lengths a slice of lightly-toasted bread.  Kept in a container, it can be fed over the shoulder while hiking.


4.  Watermelon cubes -- This time of year, watermelon goes on sale and is very refreshing during summer hikes.  Kept in a small container, it stays cool if refrigerated in advance.

5.  Apple and other fruit slices -- Prepared in advance and kept in a small container, apple, grapes, pear and other fruit slices are also refreshing midway through a hike.


6.  Orange wedges -- Since I discovered that L'il Chica enjoys sweet oranges, I've cut them into wedges and watched her suck away at the orange juice during many of our rest stops.  There's also the entertainment factor as she loves to see my orange-wedge-smile when I leave the orange peel in my mouth.


7.  Water -- Lots, lots and lots of water in a sippy cup and in my storage (bottles and packs).


I would love to hear your suggestions on more trail-friendly snacks for L'il Chica.  What are your favourite trail snacks?

5 comments:

  1. The way fruits are sliced is important for adults. but this is a lot truer for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lil Chica looks so cute. I wish I could hike with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goldfish crackers

    ReplyDelete