Monday 7 May 2012

Sunday Morning Walk in Rouge Park

Today's weather forecast practically knocked on my bedroom window told me to get out of the house and on to the trails.  It was sunny blue skies from dawn to dusk.  I chose the Rouge Park as it was early enough to avoid the fair-weather crowds and I wanted an extra challenge of hills. 

Starting out at nine, we took two hours to tackle the Mast, Orchard and Vista Trails.  This is about 10 km in all, with road crossings and trail connections included.

Mast Trail
While I love the extra challenge of the hills on the Mast Trail, I can hardly get over how much erosion there has been over the last few years as a result of foot traffic.  I would recommend a walking stick and boots with good grip for walks on this trail with a baby.

Managing my way through the rolling rocks on the Mast Trail

Beare Wetland
After having crossed from the Mast to the Orchard Trail, I got to the Beare Wetlands and was thrilled to see a bale of Midland Painted Turtles sun-bathing and warming up on a log in the south pond.  What a treat.  A friend of of mine, Terry, with a birdwatching telescope just happened to be walking by, so I had an excellent close-up.  My photo is not as clear.


Painted Turtles basking in the sun at the Beare Wetlands

No comments:

Post a Comment